NGO Forum to mark the 15th anniversary of ICPD
2-4 September, 2009
This is to share with some further news about the Global NGO Forum to mark the anniversary of ICPD at 15. The Forum will be supported by UNFPA and the German Government
Date and Venue
The dates and venue of the Forum are 2-4 September 2009 at the Estrel Hotel, Berlin, Germany.
Title/ conference website
The working title of the conference is currently “ICPD at 15 Global NGO Forum”, however this is likely to change. The website is being developed and we will notify people of its URL as soon as possible. All information about how to apply or speak at the conference will be posted on this website in the next few weeks.
Goals and Objectives
The Goals and Objectives are the Forum are:
To strengthen NGOs working in partnership in order to secure political and financial investment in sexual and reproductive health and rights – for sustainable development in an uncertain interdependent world.
1. Exchange information, identify opportunities and challenges and share lessons learned/ best practices. In particular, take stock of:
- Stakeholders and forums that are critical to the integration of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) in broader health, development and rights agendas and to ensuring adequate financial investment for SRHR programs and services;
- Progress in integrating SRHR into national, regional and global development strategies and structures;
- Global and national recognition of the comprehensive and cohesive approach to SRHR through the life-cycle;
- External factors such as economic crisis, food crisis, climate change, health sector reforms, and new aid structures; and
- Challenges to SRHR from those actively opposed to the agenda.
2. Advance a common messaging and strategic platform to promote cohesion in communication and advocacy around SRHR in an interdependent world.
3. Draft and adopt a forward-looking NGO action plan, with the support and endorsement of the NGO community. This action plan will:
- Specify and build on the different roles and contributions of NGOs in furthering SRHR–holding governments accountable, advocacy, monitoring, mobilising voices from the community, and providing services and care.
- Define ways to strengthen capacities of NGOs to play these roles.
- Focus on progress that can be achieved from 2009-2015 in ensuring strong political and financial support for SRHR to improve development and secure sustainability.
- Advocate for concrete national, regional, global accountability mechanisms and structures.
- Ensure leadership by women, youth and Southern NGOs.
4. Agree to and distribute a Call to Action as a contribution to appropriate events and channels including the International Parliamentarians' Conference on the Implementation of the ICPD Programme of Action (IPCI-ICPD), to the UN General Assembly, and to the media.
The conference site for the Forum limits the number of participants to 400. Most participants will be from NGOs, with 225 NGO representatives to be funded from the South. It is hoped that there will be 100 NGO representatives from the North. At least 25% of all NGO participation should be by young people (under 30 years of age).
Information will be available soon on how to apply to attend and/or speak at the Forum. Also, details about preparatory discussion groups to be held in as many countries as possible will be provided soon.
During the Forum, there will be simultaneous translation into Spanish and French of proceedings.
A Steering Group has been established to oversee the development of the conference agenda and to decide selection criteria for participation and speakers.
Members of this Steering Committee are: Dr Gill Greer (IPPF), Chair
Mr Vincent Abrigo (Youth Coalition) Co-Chair
Catherina Hinz (DSW), Co-Chair
Ms Sivananthi Thanenthiran (ARROW), Co-Chair
Mr Stan Bernstein (UNFPA)
Ms Soukeina Bouraoui, (Centre of Arab Women for Training & Research)
Mr Gunstan Chola (Afri YAN)
Ms Amy Coen (PAI)
Ms Beth Frederick (IWHC)
Ms Marianne Haslegrave (Commat)
Mr Ulrich Knobloch (GTZ)
Ms Rocio Rocero Garcés (acdemocracia)
Ms Elena Sajina (Family Planning Association of Moldova (SPFM))
Mr Joachim Schmitt (BMZ)
Ms Ann Starrs (FCI)
Ms Hillka Vuorenmaa (Väestöliitto)
There is a Secretariat housed in GTZ and UNFPA. The email address of the Secretariat is
The Steering Group of the ICPD at 15 Global NGO Forum